Subscribe Us

ads header

Breaking News

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES / IF - CLAUSES TYPE I , II AND III

 


CONDITIONAL SENTENCES / IF - CLAUSES TYPE I , II AND III

A. Conditional Sentence Type 1:

 

→ It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled.

Form: If + Simple Present >>> Future (= will + bare infinitive)

Example: If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.

 

Exercise:

Complete the Conditional Sentences (Type I) by putting the verbs into the correct form.

1. If you (send) …………………….this letter now, she (receive)…………………………………. it tomorrow.

 

2. If I (do)……………………… this test, I (improve) ………………………………. my English.

 

3. Peggy (go ) …………………………… shopping if she (have) …………………………. time in the afternoon.

 

4. Simon (go) ……………………………. to London next week if he (get) ……………………… a cheap flight.

 

5. If they (study / not) ………………………..harder, they (pass / not) …………………………... the exam.

 

6. If it (rain ) ……………………. tomorrow, I (have to / not ) ………………………………water the plants.

 

 

B. Conditional Sentence Type 2:

 

→ It is possible but very unlikely, that the condition will be fulfilled.

Form: if + Simple Past >>> Conditional (= would + bare infinitive)

Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation. ]

 

Exercise:

Complete the Conditional Sentences (Type II) by putting the verbs into the correct form.

1. If I (be) ……………………… rich, my life (change) ……………………… completely.

2. I (invite) …………………………..all my friends if (have) ……………………….. a house by the beach.

3. If we (have) …………………… a yacht, we (sail) ………………………… the seven seas.

4. If they (tell) ………………………… their father, he (be) ………………………very angry.

5. We (help) ………………………… you if we (know) …………………………..how.

6. My brother (buy) ………………………….a sports car if he (have) ……………………the money.

C. Conditional Sentence Type 3:

 

→ It is impossible that the condition will be fulfilled because it refers to the past.

Form: if + Past Perfect, Conditional II (= would + have + Past Participle)

Example: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.

Exercise:

Complete the Conditional Sentences (Type III) by putting the verbs into the correct form.

1. If you (study) …………………… for the test, you (pass) ………………it.

2. If you (ask) …………………………me, I (help) …………you.

3. If you (speak) ……………… English, she (understand) ………..

4. I (write) ……………....you a postcard if I (have) …………….. Your address.

5. If it (not/ start) ………… to rain, we (walk) ………………..to the museum.

6. If she (take) ………………. the bus, she (not / arrive) …… ……… on time.

 

Answer Key:

Exercise 1:

1. Send / will receive

2. Do / will improve

3. Will go / has

4. Will go / gets

5. Don’t study / will not pass

6. Rains / will not have to

 

Exercise 2:

1. Where / would change

2. Would invite / had

3. Had / would sail

4. Told / would be

5. Would help / knew

6. Would buy / had

 

Exercise 3:

1. Had studied / would have passed

2. Had asked / would have helped

3. Had spoken / would have understood

4. Would have written / had had

5. Hadn’t started / would have walked

6. Had taken / wouldn't have arrived

 

 

No comments